Thursday, December 22, 2011

All I want for Christmas...


Christmastime has always been a time of family; colored lights and tinsel, beautifully wrapped gifts and good food with our family around a large table.  The smells of sugar cookies and pine from the freshly cut tree. For me it also meant MUSIC; Handel's Messiah (Oratorio, I sing soprano) and Christmas caroling, concerts and cantatas. It was magical.



I remember understanding the "true meaning of Christmas" for the first time

at about age 15. I was attending a "youth group" during Christmastime with a neighbor friend and was invited to take part in an "outdoor LIVE Nativity". It was bitter cold and even though I was one of the shepherds, I couldn't understand WHY anyone would be outside.  The sheep weren't even interested in taking part, they hid themselves along the fence or behind the manger.  When I arrived home after youth group on Christmas Eve, I felt that something was "different". I sat in my my favorite chair in the "grand room" of our home on the Boulevard and wondered "Isn't the baby in the manger what Christmas is all about?". It was not about getting the guitar that I desperately wanted to learn to play. It was about PEACE and about LOVE. It was a "heart matter" and not a gift matter at all.

I had realized that I had ALREADY BEEN GIVEN the most wonderful Christmas gift and it would NOT be found under the Christmas tree because I found it in my heart on Christmas Eve. All I want for Christmas this year, is for PEACE to enter into everyone's hearts has it has been allowed to dwell in mine and I pray that others will know and "hold close" the LOVE that we have been given.

I wish you all a very BLESSED CHRISTMAS with your family and friends. Remember our troupes and for those who are away from their families this holiday season.





1 comment:

  1. What is the MOST important gift that you have ever received? Was it wrapped in a bow or handed to you in a box? I bet it was not. I would say that the most important gift that we can be given is love. Receive MY LOVE TO YOU today!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts...