Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Are you being abused?

Based on the "Power and Control Wheel"
Developed by the Domestic Abuse Intervention Project
202 East Superior Street Duluth
Minnesota 55802 USA

If we will allow ourselves to see abuse for what it is and learn to recognize the different forms of abuse, we CAN free ourselves from abuse and begin healing from its damage. If you are feeling controlled by a loved one or feel that they have "power over" you in certain areas, take a moment to identify their behaviors using the above wheel and determine how they may be abusive and harmful to you.

If you don't have anyone you feel that you can safely talk to about this issue; call your local domestic violence shelter to speak to a counselor. There are many ways to escape abuse but we must FIRST be able to see it as abuse and "SAY NO" to it by getting help.

I have called a domestic shelter and I spoke to a very kind young lady counselor about a sexual abuse issue that I did not pursue as it did not occur a second time with my ex husband. I had also called a suicide hotline for help for myself. I had called a battered women's shelter several times for domestic (emotional) violence and threats of personal harm from an adult child of my ex husband. All of these are the FIRST STEP in healing from abuse.

There is NO shame in calling for help...please treat yourself with the respect you deserve and call out for help today if you are in any of the above situations.
You are NOT alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...