Monday, January 2, 2012

One step at a time


Life can become SO overwhelming that we just stop doing what we really enjoy doing and end up "numbing out" either in front of the TV or some other recreation. Progress of healing TAKES TIME and patience. If anyone is WORTH our time and patience, it is ourselves!
At our most desperate moments; we may not be able to envision freedom from all we've experienced... 


but we ARE worth trying!!!






I had a vision years ago...I envisioned that my life was "the path" that I was walking on and my decisions were the bricks that I alone had the responsibility of laying; making sure that they were "laid squarely" so that IF I had to "walk this road again" I would not trip upon the decisions that I had made. I wanted to make sound and truthful decisions that I could live with and that would not come back to haunt or hurt me later.

This was challenging as I had not identified abuse or recognized the damage that it had perpetuated in my life. But in all of that, I KNEW that I was responsible for "the path that I walked on" and that I would be taking my "life trip" one-step-at-a-time. I did not want to "have to walk upon" bricks that I had carelessly laid; I wanted to walk upon a very carefully and safely made path; a path of NO REGRETS and that is exactly what I created for myself.

Regret for the things we have done will be tempered by time. 
It is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.”
― Sydney J. Harris

Taking one step at a time meant that I could take my time to make the decisions that were most important to me; if not anyone else. Talking time to deliberately and cautiously making decisions that affect the rest of our lives is wise. We are only responsible for ourselves, ultimately, in this life. When we take responsibility for our decisions and take our time to make wise ones, we will reap the benefits. We CAN take one step at a time and be confident and assured of each step on our healing journey.

I have heard from so many others who are trying to escape and heal from abuse say that "I'm not ready yet". If I had "waited until I was ready"; it would have been like "waiting to afford to have a child". When you WANT LIFE bad enough, you WILL have the time!

2 comments:

  1. What will your NEXT "one step" toward healing will you make for yourself?

    Remember:
    Inch by inch- it's a cinch,
    Yard by yard it's hard.

    Take ONE STEP for yourself; you are worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS Anonymous for your reply. I am so happy for you; I wish you EVERY strength and success in reclaiming your life. I am so honoured that you have chosen to share your good news with me. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts...