Saturday, June 22, 2013

Making the most of ourselves


What is life really all about? 

Maybe that "making the most of who we are with what we have" might be a good answer. Why not? Let's focus on "what makes life worth living".

Life has always been an adventure for me. Roads to travel, people to meet and places to see. I have learned that in looking outwardly for my life, that I have found it inwardly. Deep within my heart. I find what I love and then "do" what I love; meaning that I love music and the opportunity to sing, write music, collaborate with other singers/songwriters/musicians and then perform and record them seems to be an ultimate expression of my "being". Life has meaning for me when I am doing what I love to do. 


I remember having to complete a writing project in "Human Relations Class" in High School that involved some deep self introspection. It was titled "Where I see myself in five years". Looking back on it, I can see how quickly those five years passed and how I had strayed from my course as I had written in my paper. I look back to see how I had idealized and generalized but was not specific in my plans to reach my goals. My intentions were good but my plans were flimsy to say the least. 



I learned a valuable lesson from this paper. 
If we want to succeed in our goals, 
we must be specific, write them down and work them out. 
They will not happen just because we want them. 

Let's start right now, right where we find ourselves at this moment. We may be standing at a "fork" in the road, needing to make an important decision that will change our course in life or perhaps, we have long since passed the fork and look back with regret and wonder if we will ever come along again...in either case, or any case, we face opportunities to make the most of our lives everyday, every moment. Saying "yes" to change is a great start. Be willing to "bend" and be flexible and "think outside the box". Boxes are meant to hold things but not to help things grow. Try not to get stuck in one.

Our healing journeys lead us down many interesting and adventuresome paths. Make the most of life and yourself by taking chances, following your dreams and believing in yourself. You are worth it!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...