Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Taking good care of me


Taking good care of me. 
Some have asked me what that means; all I can say is that:

  • It is something that we have to learn to do for ourselves.
  • It is giving to ourselves what we have previously expected and been disappointed that others would not/could not provide. Even when they made promise that they would.
  • It is knowing myself enough to give to myself what I truly need and sometimes what I really want and learning to not feel guilt over it, it is all for me.
  • It is understanding that “all that is good” may not be good for me all the time.
  • It is allowing myself the right to “be selfish” and think of myself now and then.
  • It is enjoying BEING me; no matter what anyone has to say about that.
  • It is ALL about knowing that I am WORTH all the effort that I invest into MY life; I have invested in others lives and been disappointed.
  • It is KNOWING that when I invest in myself; I will not fail myself; I will not disappoint myself.
  • It is all about doing for myself what I do not want to share with others.
  • It is all about doing for myself what I will not entrust to others.
  • It is all about doing for myself what I will never again, rely upon others to do for me; because I CAN DO IT MYSELF and there are no strings of obligation that I will have to submit myself to later.

Things that I do to “take good care of me”.

  • I realize when I have a need and don’t allow myself to feel guilty for being human.
  • I have learned that “what my heart” seems to want is not always what may be the best for me but I will listen to it and follow my heart where it leads...at least a few times until I can trust it to want WHAT IS GOOD for me.
  • I will concern myself with myself and not worry first about everyone else.
  • Treat myself to flowers, candy, bubble baths. Take long walks in the park, make a stop at the pet store to play with a puppy or take myself to a movie.
  • Be creative: Paint a picture, write a song, indulge in my thoughts until they overflow on paper in a cacophony of words; not giving any concern about what anyone else would think of these things and enjoy them myself...with myself...by myself...for myself.
  • ASK MYSELF what is most important to me; what I can “let go” of easily and what I would really like to NOT have to let go of but WILL let go of it before it would be used to hurt me.
  • CARE for myself; I am a very important person.
  • Recognize the “me” that I might have run from my whole life. Be gentle with “me”. Be kind to “me”. Treat “me” as I would a best friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...