Friday, August 12, 2011

**One's real life is often the life that one does not lead.** ~Oscar Wilde

Living life in a household full of domestic abuse and believing that it may never stop is the most hellish existence that I have ever known. I truly mean "hellish"  because it was close to what I think Hell actually is and I have already lived through it. I lived without the peace or freedom to state my thoughts aloud. I tried to live within a family who did not permit my role as a wife and mother to be "my life" but a position that I was required to fill in order to fulfil my purpose in their eyes. I barely survived emotionally and mentally and lived only  a semblance of a life when trying to understand the rantings and illogic tactics of a madman who refused to accept the "me" that I was born to be. 

As Oscar Wilde said, I "knew" that  
"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."  
and I definitely knew that this kind of existence was NOT my life!

I would wake up and moan, not from lack of sleep but that I had to wake up and face the reality in which I had taught myself to accept. An "husband" who would not hear my cries for help for our family and marriage. A stepdaughter who learned to verbally abuse and disrespect me while manipulating events; teaching her to do just as he had done to me. I literally spent years of my life trying desperately to please a man who "could not be pleased enough". His criticism toward me abounded as was his constant and very vocal disapproval of me as a person, wife, mother or human being.  I had started turning inward to preserve the person who I am and that drew me to finally try to voice out my feelings with non-verbal media. I found the "vision board".  We used to call them collages in elementary school and gently arranged and glued magazine clippings to represent a certain theme. In my case, it was my only mode of survival.


This board characterizes ME. My dreams and hopes, my purpose and my goals. I knew that I had "amazing hidden potential" and assets beyond what had been attributed to me but to see them in color, on a page, with affirming words was the most healing vision that I had seen in a very long time. My vision board is an example of the hope that I held in my heart of living a life without abuse. "I had a dream" and this dream was one of love and peace and a safe home where I could be "me". 

Sometimes we have to give our dreams MORE than wings; more than words; sometimes our dreams need to take on a visual form. They are real. A vision board help us to see that they are worthy to be dreamt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...