Sunday, September 18, 2011

Say Kaddish for me...



I am grieving. 

Grieving the loss of my mother who just passed away at the ripe age of 87 from cancer of all things; she could have and probably had lived many more years if the cancer was caught ten years ago. She was taking care of my father; who underwent colon cancer surgery in 2007; it might have not been terminal if caught at that time. This is a great loss to me.




I remember watching the first movie that I had seen that had a reference to the Mourner's Kaddish;  a Jewish prayer said at the time of mourning the passing of a loved one, which praises Hashem (God) as Job said "the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; Blessed be the Name of the LORD. (Job 1:20-22). My mom and I were both greatly impacted by the movie, The Odessa File (Movie trailer on Youtube) with John Voight  and Maxmilian Schell. Many times after seeing it, her heart was touched as she spoke of the last scene; where in a diary of a Jewish man, he requests that if any one would read this that they would "say Kaddish for me". It seemed odd to me that a woman; who probably had never even met a Jewish person in her life up to that time, half German and half Irish in origin would be attracted to the Jewish prayer. It is even "more odd" in ways that I later and for over 18 years spent time with Jews and Gentiles believers in Jesus in the Messianic Synagogue.  I have often felt that giving praise to God at this time was a healing part of the mourning process; it acknowledges His gift to us through this loved one's life. My mother was truly a nothing less than a precious gift from God and I thank Him and her for providing me with her love.


Would you indulge me in this time of mourning and in honor of my mother; would you "say Kaddish" for her? Thank you and Shalom to you and yours.
 


The Mourner’s Kaddish

Exalted and sanctified is God's great name (Amen) 

in the world which He has created according to His will, 
and may He establish His kingdom in your lifetime 
and during your days, and within the life of the entire 
House of Israel, speedily and soon; 
and say, Amen.
(Amen. May His great name be blessed forever and to all eternity.)

May His great Name be blessed forever and for all eternity. 
Blessed and praised, glorified and exalted, extolled and honored, 
elevated and lauded be the Name of the Holy One, blessed be He, (blessed be He) 
beyond all the blessings and hymns, praises and consolations that are spoken in the world; 
and say, Amen. (Amen.)

May there be great peace from heaven, and life, for us and for all Israel; 
and say, Amen. (Amen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...