Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Words to live by...not just a quote on the wall.

Do you like the "Inspirational" Quotes Posters? I had one on my wall as a teenager that I had memorized. It was like a shining star lighting my way.
Young love is notorious for making "star crossed lovers" out of anyone who will succumb to the romance, intrigue, excitement and adventure of learning about another person. The irony of love is that we learn just as much or more about  ourselves at the same time, if we are doing it right that is. Even at a  young age, I understood that the deep and honest awakening and activation of the heart was essentially required if love were to bloom and flourish there. The absurdity of finding a true love, letting it go and if fate permitted; having it return years hence would certainly become more than a dream come true. 

I never even imagined that someday I would actually see the truth that Kahlil Gibran wrote about SO many years ago and that a quote on my "teenage  bedroom" wall could actually come alive into my life. It is much more surprising that it occurred over 30 years after it hung on my wall! It was displayed on my wall like a creed. Roy Crofts's poem Love states "You have done ...more than any creed could have done to make me good and more than any fate could have done to make me happy."  I wanted to "be good" and to live a good life. I wanted to believe that anything that would or could be "lost", could be found again IF it were "meant to be". Honestly, I probably would not have truly believed that "that kind of love" really existed. I had only hoped that it did and I clung onto that hope for hope's sake it nothing else.

It was actually several years later that I had experienced that kind of love. I watched it grow into a very real yet magical relationship only to erroneously believe that it was doomed and seemed very unlikely to "ever return". Yet, my heart yearned for the love that I had known. Over 25 years my heart ached and cried for my "Love" and I "couldn't let go" of him and could not understand why. It wasn't until my yearning became returning did I realize that "I was his and would always be his; he was mine forever".

My quote on the wall came true; the words of Kahlil Gibran had come to pass in my life. Remarkable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...