Saturday, January 14, 2012

Self-affirmation doesn't have to be a gamble


Ok, I am dating myself here but I loved some of the music from the 80s. I have just realized just HOW self-affirming many of these songs were to me at that time and in listening to them again today, they still are. "I'm O.K." by Styx is a very affirming and motivating and empowering message in song.  It just seems that we are always trying to "find ourselves"; feeling good about ourselves seems to be a rarer commodity these days. I had always wondered what the "chant" meant that started the song...it is an allusion to gambling, shooting craps. I don't think of the process or success in "finding ourselves" is anything like a game of chance, but we though we may not be looking to win the jackpot or lose our shirts we DO have to "roll the dice" if we want to win. We may have to be willing to "take chances" until we "find the person we've been looking for"

I'm O.K by Styx on Youtube/no video
  I'm O.K.
Written by Dennis DeYoung

Hey, 
Hey, 
Hey, 
Hey, 
Eight, Skate, 
Seven on the Rotate!

(term used in shooting craps)
 


If I could stand
Beside myself
Would I see me or maybe someone else

 
'Cause it's hard to please
Most everyone
When your spirit's got you on the run, on the run
They say do your best
But don't cause a fuss
Don't make waves be like the rest of us
But I can feel the tide is turning fast
'Cause deep inside I know that I can't last
Another day
Not another day!

'Cause I'm O.K.
I finally found the person I've been searching for
I'm alright
I'm feeling good about myself and that's for sure


'Cause I believed them when they said I must do things their way,
They tried to cast me in their mold
But I just had to say,
That I'm O.K.
I'm O.K. this way yes I'm O.K. Yes I'm OK!

I'm O.K.
I finally found the person I've been searching for (everybody sing now!)
I'm alright
I'm feeling good about myself and that's for sure (whoo!)

I'm O.K.
I finally found the person I've been searching for (yahoo!)
I'm alright
I'm feeling good about myself and that's for sure
I'm O.K.
I'm feeling good about myself and that's for sure
I'm alright
I'm O.K. this way yes I'm OK!

Is there anything wrong with "feeling good about yourself?" If we want to KNOW ourselves we need to be totally honest and admit that we REALLY DO want to FEEL good about WHO we are. Religion and others may dictate that we "must feel good within certain parameters" in order to "really feel good" about ourselves. I will challenge any nay-sayer of personal freedom that it is my choice and right to "find me" and WHERE I find me is not open for judgement by them or anyone else. We can ALL say "I'm O.K."...that is IF our heart; which knows us CAN say it.

THEN we CAN feel good about ourselves,
and THAT's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. "I'm O.K."...what a song of affirmation! I hope that you can find it in your heart and mind to say to yourself today "I'm O.K." I happen to think that you are pretty fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts...