Monday, July 2, 2012

Find YOUR SONG and sing it!!!


Singing a New Song: 
title of this blog and the passion of my life.

I have sung many "songs" in my life and feel that I have lived many"lives" through much distress and abuse. I have not known the great love and peace that many say exists but I sought after it anyways. I realized that my road of emotional, mental and spiritual healing started with "finding me"; establishing peace within myself so I could  "heal from abuse" and "learn to dream again". 



I fell in love with the harp at "The Inventure Place" (part of the Inventor's Hall of Fame). A hands-on laser light exhibit showing the technology of laser light was featured the summer that I was able to visit. Fascinated by the physics of light, I found it so increasingly intriguing that I wandered off and found myself in front of a Troubador  (tall lever harp; near the size of a grand concert harp but without pedals) which had NO strings. It had LASER beams as strings and the smoke or mist surrounding this beautiful instrument "lit up" the laser beam strings. There was a young boy sitting on the harp and my heart pounded wildly. I thought I could not wait for him to leave and move on as I anticipated touching the "strings" and making that gorgeous sound. The moment I played a glissando (with the wrong finger I later discovered), a man walked by and say "Wow, a virtuoso"...I said an urgent but silent prayer "Yes, Lord, let that man be a prophet and me become a harpist"..."This is IT" I thought.

I had been looking for an instrument to learn to play; I had wanted to play guitar when very young but when it did not feel quite right I moved onto the piano which I did learn to play a little. But strumming the guitar or placing my hands upon the keyboard did not feel as natural to me as positioning my hands upon the harp. At that moment, I felt  fluttering of angel wings go past me while I sat enraptured in the magic of the moment. Less than a year later, I had my harp in my home. I KNEW at that moment that THIS was my instrument. My musical dream come true. Though my harp is the exact model of the one pictured, it was fashioned out of the most elusively grained golden wavy maple. It's tone is healing and my hands upon its strings feels natural and "right".


I share this story with the hope of convincing you that there are MOMENTS in our lives that can bring the positive change and we have the choice and the power to "Sing a NEW SONG" with our lives. I encourage you to LISTEN to your heart and allow it to SING OUT the song that your being wants to express.

In my case, I had always loved "the harp" and did not know UNTIL THAT MOMENT that it was THE instrument that I had been looking for all my life. Some call it "an epiphany". Some call it "kismet" or "fate". I call it "Singing a New Song".