Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Valentine for Hurting Hearts




For all the precious, lonely and hurting hearts on
Valentine's Day:
Valentine's Day may be a very special day for lovers but it seems to totally disregard the single, lonely hurting heart. Too many years I dreaded the upcoming "Lover's Holiday".  I would mournfully walk throughout the mall and see all the beautiful festive red and white displays declaring the "love the of the ages" and all the wares for sale to give to that "special someone". 

 
Every Valentine's Day, my heart was made sick to think that I had "loved and lost" before and was afraid that I might NEVER know that again. 

I was reminded of other dear hearted women who had been hurt and abused and face each Valentine's Day in the same way. 

I felt that this holiday was a very wicked reminder of the cruelty of abuse...again and again each year. 

I am so sorry for your pain. 




And most of all,  I'm sorry to myself  
for treating me worse than I would anyone else.








I have learned to like Valentine's Day and think of it as a day of opportunity rather than loss by trying to remind myself, that no matter what we have been through in life, we can learn to show love and concern for our selves.

Try something I have done. Give yourself a red rose. Find some pretty red paper. Cut large hearts and glue onto a while lacy doily. Write "I love me", "I am worth it",  "I am special" and "I like you a LOT!" and tape them on your doorways and refrigerator. Give some to neighbors and co-workers. Indulge in a few delicious pieces of chocolate; dark chocolate is my favorite. Play some beautiful romantic classical love songs and give yourself a gift of music and joy. Be kind to yourself and above all...remember it is not how much you are loved but HOW MUCH YOU LOVE that really counts. I hope that this Valentine's Day, you will show yourself HOW MUCH YOU ARE LOVED by you!

 Happy Valentine's Day!