Saturday, July 30, 2011

The most valuable friend we ALL have

I have another favorite poem; I love poetry and the poets' view of the world in which we live. The biggest world is our imagination and mind. They are two of our strongest assets. They are the expressions of our soul and the motor by which we generate and share the life giving force that we refer to as ourselves. Sir Edward Dyer wrote a poem called "My mind to me a kingdom is". It has been a help to me when life was "not so good".
  My Mind To Me A Kingdom Is
    MY mind to me a kingdom is;
    Such perfect joy therein I find
    That it excels all other bliss
    Which God or nature hath assigned. 
    Though much I want that most would have,
    Yet still my mind forbids to crave. 
     
    No princely port, nor wealthy store,
    No force to win a victory, 
    No wily wit to salve a sore,
    No shape to win a loving eye;
    To none of these I yield as thrall,--
    For why? my mind despise them all. 
     
    I see that plenty surfeit oft,
    And hasty climbers soonest fall;
    I see that such as are aloft
    Mishap doth threaten most of all.
     These get with toil and keep with fear;
    Such cares my mind can never bear.
     
    I press to bear no haughty sway,
    I wish no more than may suffice,
    I do no more than well I may,
    Look, what I want my mind supplies. 
    Lo! thus I triumph like a king,
    My mind content with anything. 
     
    I laugh not at another's loss,
    Nor grudge not at another's gain;
    No worldly waves my mind can toss;
    I brook that is another's bane.
    I fear no foe, nor fawn on friend,
    I loathe not life, nor dread mine end. 
     
    My wealth is health and perfect ease,
    And conscience clear my chief defence;
    I never seek by bribes to please,
    Nor by desert to give offence.
    Thus do I live, thus will I die,--
    Would all did so as well as I! 
     
        Sir Edward Dyer

My mind and imagination has always been faithful to supply whatever life seemed to lack. I guess that life has "always seemed to lack" in many areas. I humorously look upon my imagination as being better than television. I would always rather read a book than see the movie; the book is always better. Maybe this is due to the fact that our minds can imagine and even re-create where our eyes will only see and interpret.

I have always welcomed solitude and did not run away from having to be alone. I love to "be with my thoughts". Overall, I think along these lines because we have the most valuable resources right within our own hands...ourselves. I would MUCH prefer to be alone with my thoughts than to be with many people;; especially those who have abused and mistreated me.

I would like to encourage everyone to meet a new friend today. Go to a mirror and smile. Say hello to that wonderful person who is smiling so warmly back at you. He or she really is a very kind, loving and warm person. Creative and witty. Fun-loving and full of joy and adventure. This person deserves your respect, care and love. Will you say something nice to this person? Affirm him/her and tell him/her just how valuable he/she is to you. How much you could not go on living without them and that you promise that from this day forward; you will trust him/her as your very soul. And by the way, while you are there, would you put your arms around this precious person and give them a hug FROM ME? I would appreciate it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...