Friday, July 22, 2011

Wolves in sheeps clothing

I see faith in a very personal way. I suspect that most people who have really thought about what and Whom they believe in may count their walk of faith to be personal as well. It is a relationship between our hearts and minds with Whom we place our trust and believe in. As Christians, we have been taught that "God's will" is what "is best for us" and that God speaks to us through His Word and His Holy Spirit. IF we are listening and discerning, we will KNOW His will. This is a very interesting subject of discussion that brings forth many different perspectives on faith.

Many times in abusive and disrespectful relationships, "being a christian" can bring the obligation and instruction to "turn the other cheek".  I have found that more often than not it is the one who is being abused that is expected to endure it. Abuse is abuse; and this is an abuse of spiritual authority; that is portrayed as "their right to exert". We are not to "return the abuse" when it is given to us but to rather and it is best in my opinion to turn away from it. This may also require discernment and wisdom in knowing that we do have a choice if we have contact with anyone who is abusive to us; including those who call themselves "Christians".

In a marriage or even family relationship, we may be ridiculed for "not allowing abuse" or calling a practice that is "acceptable" in an abuser's eyes such as demanding submission and sex from a "disobedient wife". We may even be accused of "not being a christian" or for "being abusive to them" because we "stand up for our rights to be treated kindly" due to their projection of "their true image" upon us. (See personality disorders at  htpp://ww.outofthefog.net). It is NOT what and who that WE say that we are that matters; our actions will TELL others what and Whom we truly believe in.

Being abused and "taking the abuse" by turning the other cheek does not tell the abuser or the world that being a christian is different from them apart from "being weaker" and it is easier to "control and manipulate, lie to, steal from and cheat" us. I have personally experienced the "abuse of my faith"; where a spouse "used" my belief in Christ to "obligate me" to endure his abusive behavior. I was not allowed a "voice". My personal rights to object, voice concern or give any thought or opinion was not permitted. This crushed my spirit and revealed to me, the insidious heart of the abuser who "called himself a christian".

What I really always wanted for my life; not only the best for my life but what my heart truly craved, was to be loved. God's will is clear that He loves us and wants us to know and accept His love.  I will not settle for "less than God's best" in my life ever again. Not everything that glitters is gold and neither is every person who says that they are "a Christian" and acts abusive is anything more than a "wolf in sheeps clothing". Abuse is abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts...